|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on October 15, 1979.
The arms combine elements from the old arms (see below), with the bell taken from the arms of the former Lüdinghausen district arms.
The arms were granted on August 8, 1956.
The right part of the arms show St. Liudger, the main missionary under the German and Frisian tribes in the 8th century, and founder of the diocese of Münster. The is buried in Billerbeck in the district. The left part shows the arms of Münster, as the district historically belonged to Münster.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Linder and Olzog, 1996