|Heraldry of the World|
|Luxembourg heraldry portal|
Héraldique de Luxembourg
The arms were granted on July 26, 1982.
The shield is divided in three parts, one for each of the villages in the municipality.
The upper part shows a cross, derived from the arms of the Lords of Larochette, who held the estate and village of Contern from 1534-1731.
The bars are derived from the arms of the Grandpré family, Lords of Roussy, who also owned Moutfort, Medingen and Pleitrange, the first two are now part of the Contern municipality. The bars are shown as waves to symbolise the Syre river that flows through the area.
The lower half shows a shell, derived from the arms of the Metternich family, owners of the estate of Oetrange.
Literature : Loutsch, J-C. et al.; Armorial communal du Grand-Duché de Luxembourg, Fisch, Luxembourg, 1989, 331 p.