|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Incorporated into : 1975 Ross and Cromarty District Council (1996 Highland Area Council)
Or, three boars' heads erased Gules, armed and langued Azure, in the centre of the shield a mural coronet of the Second.
Above the Shield is placed a mural coronet suitable to a Burgh and in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Meane Well, Speak Weil, and Doe Weil".
The arms were granted on January 11, 1939.
Cromarty seems to have been a Royal Burgh by 1264 but was associated with the Earls of Ross from 13I5 to 1475.
The arms are a slightly-differenced version of the arms of Urquhart of Cromartie, which the Burgh had used on the seal it adopted in 1892. The mural coronet, which has been added, was shown above the shield on this old seal and by being coloured red appropriately recalls the "old red sandstone" of the district well known by the writings of Hugh Miller (1802-1856), a distinguished son of Cromarty.
The motto is the Urquhart one.
Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s
Or, three boars' heads erased Gules. armed and langued Azure, in the centre of the shield a mural coronet of the Second.
Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol below the same this Motto "Meane Weil, Speak Weil, and Doe Weil".
The arms were granted on June 19, 1988.
These arms are the same as the old Burgh arms with a new crown.
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature: Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974, 2001