Cuesmes

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
Belgium.jpg
Belgian heraldry portal
Belgische wapens
Armorial de Belgique
Belgium-flag.jpg

CUESMES

Province : Hainaut
Incorporated into : 1971 Mons

Armoiries de Cuesmes

Official blazon

Parti au premier de sinople à la croix d'argent, au deuxième d'or à trois chevrons de sable, l'écu en losange posé sur une crosse abbatiale d'argent.

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on March 18, 1914.

The arms show the arms of the joined St. Waudru Convent and St. Vincent Abbey, two of the most influential abbeys in Hainaut. The arms itself combine the cross of the Lothier family, with the oldest arms of the Counts of Hainaut. The village of Cuesmes became a possession of the St. Waudru Convent in 691 and the convent remained in possession of many rights until the late 18th century.

Wapen van/Blason de Cuesmes

The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930


Literature : Servais, 1955