|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
In Gold ein blaues Kleeblattkreuz.
Dülmen received city rights in 1311 from the Bishop of Münster. The oldest seal is already known from 1312 and showed the patron saint of the city, St. Victor. The saint was used in the seals of the city until the late 18th century.
On coins and decorations throughout the city, a shield with the typical cross was used as arms. The cross was derived from the small shield held by St. Victor on the oldest seal. The arms also appear on the seals in the early 19th century and were officially granted in 1947.
From 1939-1945 the city used another coat of arms, showing a gate, symbolising the Lüdinghauser gate in Dülmen.
The arms on a 1622 coin
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.