|German||Unter Schildhaupt mit den bayerischen Rauten in Rot über silbernen Wellen ein zinnenbekröntes silbernes Tor mit goldenen Torflügeln.|
|English||No blazon/translation known. Please click here to send your (heraldic !) blazon or translation|
The arms were officially granted on February 23, 1939.
Deggendorf received city rights in 1316 and the present arms, which were granted in 1936, are based on the oldest seal, which dates from the early 14th century. The arms show the Donau river, with the gate as a symbol for the new city and the head showing the arms of the Wittelsbach family (see Bayern), as overlords.
Later seals show many variations on the arms, without the waves, with smaller towers attached and many different styles.
Nevertheless, the basic composition remained the same. See for example the arms shown by Hupp below:
The arms in a 16th century manuscript
The arms in a manuscript from 1599
The arms in an album from around 1910
The arms in an album from 1968
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink