Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Ceh.jpg
Ecclesiastical heraldry portal
  • Total pages in the Ecclesiastical section : 6,570

DIOCESE OF ALTOONA-JOHNSTOWN (Dioecesis Altunensis-Johnstoniensis)

Country : United States
Denomination : Roman Catholic

Established : 1901 as Diocese of Altoona
Since 1957 as Altoona-Johnstown

Arms (crest) of Diocese of Altoona-Johnstown

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

The black bar charged with the three silver discs is taken from the arms of William Penn, founder of the Commonwealth of Pennsylvania, one of the original 13 colonies.

The upper half rerpresents the cathedral and co-cathderal. The ciborium between the two circular wafers represent the cathedral of the Blessed Sacrament in Altoona. The abbot´s mitre represents the Co-Cathedral of Saint-John Gualbert in Johnstown.

The cross in the lower half is one of the quarterings of the Prince Gallitzin, of Russian nobility. Bishop Carroll, America´s first shepherd, assigned Father Gallitzin to Loretto, Pennsylvania, as pastor in March 1799. The Russian prince spent 41 years developing the area spiritually and industrially, thus gaining the title of "The apostle of the Alleghenies".

Arms of Bishops of Altoona

Arms of Bishops of Altoona-Johnstown


Follow us : Facebook.jpgInstagram.png
(when sharing images on Instagram, use #heraldryoftheworld)

Literature : diocesan webpage with explanation the arms of bishop Adamec, 23-1-2004.