Diocese of Covington

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Ceh.jpg
Ecclesiastical heraldry portal
  • Total pages in the Ecclesiastical section : 6,621

DIOCESE OF COVINGTON (Dioecesis Covingtonensis)

Country : United States
Denomination : Roman Catholic

Established : 1853

Arms (crest) of Diocese of Covington

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

The arms were commissioned by William T. Mulloy, 6th bishop of Covington (1944-1959), following the 1953 elevation of Covington´s cathedral to the status of a minor basilica.

The golden fleur-de-lis and silver crescent are symbols of the Blessed Virgin Mary. Their juxtaposition in this fashion indicates her Assumption: the Blessed Virgin elevated over the sub-lunary world. It is under this aspect, that Mary is patroness of the Cathedral of the Assumption.

The sword on the red cross on a field argent is the symbol of Saint-Paul, Patron of the Diocese of Covington.

The arms replaced the previous arms used since 1915.

These arms showed a cross, charged with a rose that is symbol of Our Lay, Patron of the diocesan cathedral. In chief two hands clasping.

Arms of Bishops

Arms of Auxiliary Bishops


Follow us : Facebook.jpgInstagram.png
(when sharing images on Instagram, use #heraldryoftheworld)

Literature : explanations at the diocesan website