Diocese of Liverpool
DIOCESE OF LIVERPOOL
Country : United Kingdom
Denomination : Anglican
Argent, an eagle rising sable, beaked and legged and a glory round the head Or, holding in the dexter claw an inkhorn proper; a chief per pale azure and gules charged on the dexter side with an open book Or inscribed in letters sable "Thy Word is Truth" and on the sinister side an ancient ship with three masts, sails furled, also Or.
The arms were officially granted on July 17, 1882.
The Eagle of S. John the Evangelist is taken from the ancient Seal of the Borough. The Book was placed on the Chief at the request of John Charles Ryle,
first Bishop 1880-1900. The Ship refers to the Port and Commerce of Liverpool.
This page is part of the Ecclesiastical heraldry portal
Other Christian churches
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Image from Wills's Arms of the Bishopric. Mccarthy: Armoria Sedium; E.E. Dorling: Heraldry of the Chruch a Handbook.