Diocese of Moray, Ross and Caithness
DIOCESE OF MORAY, ROSS AND CAITHNESS
Country : United Kingdom
Denomination : Anglican
Established : 1124 (Moray), 1131 (Ross) and 1146 (Caithness). United 1777.
- (1953) Parted per fess and in chief per pale, First Or two lions combattant Gules pulling at a cushion of the last issuant from a crescent Azure on a chief wavy of the third three mullets Argent (for the See of Moray); Second Argent a bishop standing on the sinister habited in a long robe close-girt Purpure mitred and holding in the sinister hand a crozier Or and pointing with the dexter hand to a saint affrontée his hands clasped on his breast proper. habited Gules, about his head a halo of the Thrd (for the See of Ross); Third Azure issuant from an antique boat Or a demi-bishop proper vested Argent, his mitre and pastoral staff in bend sinister of the second accompanied by two demi-angels, one in the dexter and the other in the sinister chief holding open books proper their wings addorsed also of the second (for the See of Caithness).
The arms were recorded in 1953 by Lord Lyon's Office.
The arms combine elements for the three former dioceses.
The previous arms were recorded at the College of Arms.
The top left-hand represents the ancient arms of the Diocese of Moray with St Gerardine; the top right-hand side represents the ancient arms of the Diocese of Ross; the bottom represents the ancient Diocese of Caithness.
This page is part of the Ecclesiastical heraldry portal
Other Christian churches
Support the site: