Diocese of Ripon
DIOCESE OF RIPON
Argent, on a saltire gules two keys in saltire, wards upwards, Or; on a chief of the second a Holy Lamb proper.
The arms were officially granted on November 3, 1836.
The diocesean Cathedral was formerly the Chruch of the College of St. Wilfrid, to which Saint it was dedicated. It was also dedicated to St. Peter.
The Chief is from the Seal of the College of St. Wilfrid and the Keys symbolise St Peter.
The arms on a cigarette card
The Dean of Ripon used the arms below, which have not been granted.
Arms of Bishops
Robert Bickersteth (1857-1884)
This page is part of the Ecclesiastical heraldry portal
Other Christian churches
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Image from Wills's Arms of the Bishopric. McCarthy: Armoria Sedium. Bishop Bickersteth's Arms from J. Siebmacher’s Grosses Wappenbuch Bd 8, Die Wappen der Bistümer und Klöster.
E.E. Dorling: Heraldry of the Church a Handbook.