Diocese of Rockville Centre

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Ceh.jpg
Ecclesiastical heraldry portal
  • Total pages in the Ecclesiastical section : 5,202

DIOCESE OF ROCKVILLE CENTRE (Dioecesis Petropolitana in Insula Longa)

Country : United States
Denomination : Roman Catholic

Established : 1957

Arms (crest) of Diocese of Rockville Centre

Official blazon

Origin/meaning

The four sections blue and gold per saltire represent the two counties Nassau and Suffolk which make up the territory of the diocese. In the upper centre is a lamb's head to honor the virginal innocence of Saint-Agnes, titular of the cathedral church in Rockville Centre.

In the other three sections we see in alternating reversed colors three scallop shells. These shells pay particularly honor to the heritage of the thirteen tribes of Algonquin Indians that originally inhabited the area that is now Long Island and who employed the shells of the region in so may ways. The wavy silver border indicates that the diocese is an island and the centre of this design is a black roundel charged with three rocks argent, as taken from the arms of pope Pius XII who erected the diocese in 1957, indicating by play on words that the diocese is a ¨rock-ville centre¨.

Arms of Bishops

Arms of Auxiliary Bishops


Literature : Background from the diocesan website; Hans van Heijningen