Diocese of Salisbury

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search


DIOCESE OF SALISBURY

Country : United Kingdom
Denomination : Anglican (until 1559 Roman Catholic)

Established : 705 as Diocese of Sherborne
Renamed as Diocese of Ramsbury in 909
Renamed as Diocese of Salisbury 1078

Arms (crest) of Diocese of Salisbury

Official blazon

Azure, Our Lady crowned, holding in her dexter arm the Infant Jesus, in her sinister hand a sceptre Or, round both heads circles of glory of the last.

Origin/meaning

The arms were recorded at the College of Arms, and were already used in the 15th century.

The dedication of the cathedral is to the Blessed Virgin Mary and this is echoed in the arms. Her figure with the child appears full length but seated on the seal of Richard Mitford (1395-1407); they also appear, half-length, on the small counterseals of Robert Bingham (1229-46) and Robert Wickhampton (1274-84). Seated they form part of the main device of the seals of Robert Hallam (1375-1407) and Richard Beauchamp; and half-length occur in the upper portion of that of Lorenzo, Cardinal Campeggio (1525-34). After the reformation she is seen again in full-length.

Arms of Roman Catholic Bishops

Arms of Anglican Bishops

Literature:


This page is part of the
Ceh.jpg
Ecclesiastical heraldry portal

Perth-foley.jpg

Catholic heraldry

Bathurst-hurford.rel.jpg

Other Christian churches

Shaarhashomayim.rel.jpg
Other

  • Total pages in this section : 17,245
  • Total images in this section : 15,676

Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink Image from Wills's Arms of the Bishopric. Briggs, 1963.