Diocese of Southwell and Nottingham
DIOCESE OF SOUTHWELL AND NOTTINGHAM (until 2005 Diocese of Southwell)
Country : United Kingdom
Denomination : Anglican
Established : 1884
Sable, three fountains proper; a chief Or, thereon a pale azure charged with a representation of the Virgin Mary seated bearing the Infant Christ Or, between on the dexter side a stag lodged proper and on the sinister two staves raguly crossed vert.
The arms were officially granted on June 27, 1884.
The Heraldic Fountains - Wells alludes to last part of the Name Southwell. The Deer is from the Arms fo Derby and the Cross Raguly is from the Arms of Nottingham.
This alludes to the two Counties Derbyshire and Nottinghamshire that makes up the Diocese. The Our Lady and Child is from the Arms of the Diocese of Lincoln, to which
Nottinghamshire formerly was part.
This page is part of the Ecclesiastical heraldry portal
Other Christian churches
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature: Image from Wills's Arms of the Bishopric. McCarthy: Armoria Sedium; E.E. Dorling: Heraldry of Church a Handbook.