Diocese of Worcester (USA)
|Heraldry of the World|
|Ecclesiastical heraldry portal|
DIOCESE OF WORCESTER (Dioecesis Wigorniensis)
Established : 1950
Azure, a cross fieurettée or, on a chief argent, four torteaux gules.
The arms were originally designed by Dom William Bayne OSB of the Abbey of Saint-Gregory the Great in Portsmouth (RI). The golden fleur-de-lis-cross on blue comes from the arms of the Archdiocese of Boston of which the diocese Worcester in 1950 was created.
The fleur-de-lis endings refer to the first Bishop of Boston, Jean-Louis Lefebvre de Cheverus, a French bishop who later became cardinal-archbishop of Bordeaux, France. The employment of the Cross is to proclaim the major theme of the Preachings of Saint-Paul, titular of the Cathedral-church of Worcester.
The four red plates, called ¨Torteaux¨, are taken from the arms of the (Anglican) Diocese of Worcester in England, honoring the name of the See City.
Arms of Bishops
John Joseph Wright (1950-1959)
Bernard Joseph Flanagan (1959-1983)
Timothy Joseph Harrington (1983-1994)
Daniel Patrick Reilly (1994-2004)
Robert Joseph McManus (2004–present)
Arms of Auxiliary Bishops
Literature : diocesan website