|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on January 7, 1964.
A large part of the district historically was the County of Sualafeld. This county was first ruled by the Counts of Graisbach-Lechsgemünd, who in 1342 were succeeded by the Dukes of Bayern. The panther is taken from the arms of the Counts of Graisbach-Lechsgemünd, the diamonds are the arms of Bayern.
The cross and crown symbolise the two free monasteries, the Imperial Abbey of the Holy Cross in Donauwörth and the Cistercian Abbey of Kaisheim.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.