|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
|Austrian heraldry portal|
State : Vorarlberg
District : Dornbirn
The arms were officially granted on September 23, 1655, February 28, 1902 and finally on February 1, 1929.
The original arms of the village probably showed a canting thorn (Dorn) bush. In 1655 this was replaced by a pear (Birn) tree with pears. The background shows the Austrian arms and was probably chosen to state that the town belonged to Austria as the neighbouring County of Hohenembs tried several times to acquire Dornbirn.
The arms in the Coffee Hag album +/- 1932
The arms in the Abadie albums
Special postal cancellation 1976
Literature : Burmeister, 1975