|Heraldry of the World|
|Irish heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of Ireland
Araltais in Éirinn
County : Louth
The gate is St. Lawrence's Gate, a Norman building which still stands in the town. The ship represents the town's status as a major trading port (hence the motto "God our strength, merchandise out glory". The star and crescent are the royal seal of King John, who gave the town its charter.
The three lions are the three English lions, Drogheda being an English garrison town.
The arms as used on a JaJa postcard +/- 1905
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Image provided by "Laurence Jones" (firstname.lastname@example.org), background by Gerard Clinton, Drogheda.