Duffel

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
Wapens van alle landen
Armorial du Monde
Belgium.jpg
Belgian heraldry portal
Belgische wapens
Armorial de Belgique
Belgium-flag.jpg

DUFFEL

Province : Antwerpen

Wapen van Duffel

Official blazon

  • (1851) D'or à trois pals de gueules, au franc canton d'hermines, la dite hermine portant cinq moucetures en sautoir.
  • (1928) Gedeeld het eerste van goud met drie palen van keel met het vrij kwartier van zilver beladen met vijf hermelijnvlokjes schuin kruiselings geplaatst en het tweede deel van keel met drie lelies van zilver zonder voet.
  • (1952) Gedeeld, 1 van goud met drie palen van keel met het vrij kwartier van zilver beladen met vijf hermelijnvlokjes schuin kruiselings geplaatst en 2 van keel met drie lelies van zilver.
  • (1993) Gedeeld 1. in goud drie palen van keel en een schildhoek van zilver beladen met vijf hermelijnstaartjes schuinsgeweijze geplaatst 2. in keel drie lelies van zilver.

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on February 26, 1851, changed on October 5, 1928, again changed on December 8, 1952 and confirmed on February 16, 1993.

In medieval times the area was split in three estates, Duffel-Perwijs, Duffel-Hoogheid and Duffel-Voogdij. The first two were since the 13th century a possession of the Berkhout family, the latter was since the 11th century owned by the Abbey in Nijvel. In 1571 they were bought and combined by Floris van Merode-Deinze. The Merode family owned the village until the late 18th century.

All three estates had their own seals. Duffel-Perwijs used a seal with the three red pales of the Berthout family and a free canton with ermine tails; Duffel-Hoogheid used only the Berthout arms and Duffel-Voogdij used a crosier with the arms of the Lords of Wezemaal (governors for the Abbey, three fleur-de-lys).

Zegel van Duffel

The seal from Duffel-Hoogheid (© Gemeentearchief Duffel)
Zegel van Duffel

The seal from Duffel-Perwijs (© Gemeentearchief Duffel)
Arms (crest) of Duffel

The seal from Duffel-Voogdij (© Gemeentearchief Duffel)|}

In 1851 only the arms of Duffel-Perwijs were granted, as this was the largest of the three estates. In 1927 the arms were augmented with the arms of the Lords of Wezemaal to represent Duffel-Voogdij. However, the fleur-de-lys were granted as demi-fleur-de-lys, which was corrected in 1951. After some small border changes the arms were confirmed again in 1993.

Wapen van Duffel

The arms from 1851
Wapen van Duffel

The arms from 1928
Wapen van/Blason de Duffel

The arms in the Koffie Hag/Café Hag albums +/- 1930
Wapen van/Blason de Duffel

The arms on a police badge (source)

The arms in the town (images Derek Howard, 2018):


Follow us : Facebook.jpgInstagram.png
(when sharing images on Instagram, use #heraldryoftheworld)

Literature : Anonymous : Van evers en heiligen - wapens en vlaggen van de gemeenten in de provincie Antwerpen. Antwerpen, 1998; Keersmaekers, 1988; images from the Gemeentearchief Duffel