DUNBARTONSHIRE (County Council)
Incorporated into : 1975 Strathclyde
Argent, a saltire cantmied with four roses Gules, barbed and seeded Vert.
And in an Escrol below the same this Motto "Levenax".
The arms were granted on July 20, 1927.
The arms are those of the historical region of Lennox, of which the town Dumbarton was the capital and the region thus was nearly identical to the county. The motto "Levenax" is derived from the Gaelic Leamhanach, or "Land of the elm trees".
Literature : Patton, 1977