|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on March 18, 1957.
The key in the lower part of the arms refers to the Lords of Schlüsselberg (key-mountain), who owned many estates and castles in the area before 1347. In 1347 most of their possessions were acquired by the bishops of Bamberg. The first quarter of the arms thus shows the arms of the State of Bamberg. The second quarter shows the arms of the (Hohen)Zollern dynasty, who held some estates in the north-eastern part of the district.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.