|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms of the village have changed several times in less than two centuries. The oldest known seal dates from the 1840s and shows a shield with two crossed hooks, used by fishermen. The State Archives proposed in 1900 arms with the two tools placed crosswise, black on gold. The local council did not approve of these arms, and wanted the local castle in its arms.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
In 1903 the council adopted the new arms, showing a landscape with trees and houses in the foreground and a mountain with a castle, the Alteberstein castle, on top in the background.
As these arms were very bad from a heraldic point of view, the council decided in 1961 to change the arms. The upper part of the new arms showed one of the tools from the old seal, now described as a wolf's-iron. The lower part shows a rose, taken from the arms of the Lords of Eberstein, owners of the castle for many centuries. The arms were officially granted on August 18, 1961.
Literature : Zier and Futterer, 1966.