Arms : Gules on a Bar Argent a Barrulet Sable surmounted of a Pale also Argent thereon a Pallet Azure in the first quarter a Beaver in the second a Cornucopia inverted in the third a a Garb and in the fourth a Sickle all Or.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours on Water barry wavy a Lymphad sail set proper and charged with a Cogwheel Sable flags and pennon flying Gules.
Supporters : On the dexter side a Sea Horse and on the sinister side a Tabby Cat quardant both proper.
The arms were officially granted on October 6, 1955.
The black horizontal line between silver borders symbolizes the oil pipes of the petroleum industry and the blue vertical line between similar borders represents the Manchester Ship Canal. The Beaver refers to industry and the wheatsheaf links to the traditional arms of the Earldom and County of Chester, while the cornucopia suggests prosperity.
The blue and white wavy lines symbolise the River Mersey, and the ancient ship denotes the Borough's status as a Port and its ancient maritime associations. The cogwheel is another symbolic reference to industry.
The Sea Horse is a further reference to the Borough's connection with the sea, while the symbolism of the tabby cat with its "Cheshire Grin" is self-evident.