|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted in 1974 and replaced the former arms, shown below. The old arms were granted on July 8, 1911 by the Grandduke of Oldenburg.
The upper half of the arms thus is derived from the arms of the State of Oldenburg. The lower half shows in the third quarter a cutter (ship), symbol of the importance of shipping for the town.
The star is the Pole Star, symbol of navigation. The horse-shoe and spur in the fourth quarter symbolise the (historical) importance of horse breeding in the region.
The older arms showed a fish in the fourth quarter, a symbol for fishing and fish processing in the town.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; new image from the Elsfleth council