The arms were officially granted on May 6, 1939.
The arms show symbols of the main activities at the time, a plough for agriculture and miner's tools for the mining in the area. The colours are those of the Lords (Vögte) of Elspe from the 12th century until 1500, when the area became part of the State of Köln.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Literature: Belke et al., 1986