|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
(de) In gespaltenem Schild vorne in Grün stehend der silbern gekleidete hl. Nikolaus mit roter Mitra, in der Rechten einen silbernen Krummstab, in der Linken ein rotes Buch mit drei daraufliegenden goldenen Kugeln haltend, unten in Silber ein schwebender schwarzer Dreiberg.
Elzach was founded in 1290 by Wilhelm of Schwarzenberg (see also Waldkirch).
It is likely that the first seal was made at the same time, but seals are not known before 1315. The seal shows a tower on which is standing a bishop, most likely the patron saint of the city, St. Nicholas as well as a small shield with the arms of the Lords of Schwarzenberg, a canting black six-topped mountain (Schwarzenberg=black mountain).
In 1895 the arms were re-granted and finally in 1968 the arms were simplified to its present form. The original six-topped mountain (as can still be seen in the arms of the Emmendingen District) was changed to a three-topped mountain, as has been the arms of Schwarzenberg since 1523/24.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.