|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Baden-Württemberg
The arms were granted on November 5, 1956.
The arms are a combination of the arms of Baden, the Lords of Schwarzenberg and the Lords of Üsenbrg. The major part of the present district was owned by the Lords of Baden from the 14th century. In Emmendingen they had one of their strongholds. The so-called six-topped mountain, is taken from the arms of the Lords of Schwarzenberg, who were very influential in Elzach and Waldkirch. The wing is taken from the arms of the Lords of Üsenberg who ruled over Endingen, Herbolzheim and Kenzingen. Both the latter areas became Austrian in the early Middle Ages, but the arms of the original rules were used instead of the Austrian arms (the wing and the Austrian arms are part of the arms of the latter three towns).
Postal cancellation 1998
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.