Esslingen am Neckar
|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
ESSLINGEN AM NECKAR
In Gold ein rotbewehrter schwarzer Adler mit einem von Grün und Rot gespaltenen Brustschild, darin die schwarzen Großbuchstaben C und E.
Esslingen received city rights around 1200, and the oldest seal is known since 1232. The seal (which was first mentioned in 1219) already shows the Imperial eagle. To distinguish the arms from many other cities with the imperial eagle, a breast-shield was added in the 15th century. The original shield was divided green and brown, the colours of the local militia. Around 1600 the colours change into green and red, and finally in the 17th century the letters CE are added. The letters stand for Civitas Esslingensis (city of Esslingen).
The arms in a manuscript +/- 1530
The arms on a municipal stamp (1892)
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (+/- 1910)
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.