Eyemouth

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

Overseas possessions


  • Total pages in the British section : 3,288

EYEMOUTH

Incorporated into : 1975 Berwickshire (1996 Scottish Borders)

Burgh

Arms (crest) of Eyemouth

Official blazon

Tierced in pairle reversed: 1st, Vert, a lion rampant Argent, armed and langued Gules; 2nd, Sable, a lion rampant Argent, armed and langued Gules; 3rd, Argent, a fish hauriant Vert between two roses Gules, barbed and seeded Vert.

Below the Shield, which is ensigned of a coronet befitting a Burgh of Barony (videlicet: Gules masoned Argent) is placed in an Escrol this Motto "Remis Velisque".

Origin/meaning

The arms were officially granted on April 4, 1966.

The arms show a silver lion on a green field for Home of Wedderburn, and a silver lion on a black field for John Churchill, 1st Duke of Marlborough, who was created Lord Churchill of Eyemouth in 1682.

The red roses on the silver field recall Wedderburn of that Ilk, the heiress of which house married Sir David Home of Thurston, later Wedderburn.

The fish, coloured green by choice of the Town Council, represents Eyemouth's staple industry and also recalls its long history as a port, since it is known to have had a harbourmaster as early as 1214. The Latin motto­ "By oars and by sails" is the same as that used by Eyemouth Secondary School

Community Council

Official blazon

Tierced in pairle reversed: 1st, Vert, a lion rampant Argent, armed and langued Gules; 2nd, Sable, a lion rampant Argent, armed and langued Gules; 3rd, Argent, a fish hauriant Vert between two roses Gules, barbed and seeded Vert.

Above the Shield is placed a Coronet appropriate to a statutory Community Council, videlicet:- a circlet richly chased from which are issuant four thistle leaves (one and two halves visible) and four pine cones (two visible) Or, and in an Escrol below the same this Motto "Remis Velisque".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on April 10, 1988.

Arms (crest) of Eyemouth

The arms are based on the old burgh arms, but with the crown of a community council.


Follow us : Facebook.jpgInstagram.png
(when sharing images on Instagram, use #heraldryoftheworld)

Literature : Urquhart, 1974, 1979, 2001 Scotland.jpg