Falkland Islands Dependencies
|Heraldry of the World |
|British heraldry portal|
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
|The National Arms of the Falkland Islands Dependencies||The National Flag|
The territory was a British Overseas Territory covering South Georgia, the South Shetland Islands and a sector of Antarctica claimed by the United Kingdom.
The territory was created in 1908. In 1962 the Antarctica part was separated as the British Antarctic Territory and the remaining area was renamed in 1985 as South Georgia and the South Sandwich Islands.
The arms of the Falkland Islands Dependencies
The arms were officially granted on March 11, 1952.
Per fess wavy barry wavy of six argent and azure, and argent; on a pile gules, a torch enflamed proper. Supporters: On the dexter side a lion Or and on the sinister side an Emperor Penguin proper. Motto: Research and Discovery.
The arms consist of a shield bearing a flaming torch on a wavy background representing the sea. The dexter supporter is a golden lion, representing the United Kingdom. The sinister supporter is an Emperor penguin, representing the native wildlife in the territory. The lion stands on a grass floor, while the penguin stands on an ice floor. The crest is a representation of the RRS Discovery, the research ship used by Robert Falcon Scott and Ernest Shackleton on their first journey to the Antarctic.
The motto is “Research and Discovery”, reflecting the aims of the British Antarctic Survey