Incorporated into : 1974 Shepway
Arms : Or, on a water barry wavy in base proper an ancient ship with four men's heads therein apparent as represented on the ancient seal of the borough of Folkestone, also proper; on a chief per pale gules and azure a demi lion passant guardant dimidiated with the hull of a ship gold.
Crest : On a Wreath Or and Azure, a demi double-headed eagle displayed sable, beaked Or, charged on the breast with a rose argent, barbed and seeded proper, dimidiated with a fleur-de-lys gold, and on each wing a ducal coronet also gold.
Supporters : On the dexter side a figure representing St. Eanswyth proper crowned with an ancient crown and holding on the exterior hand a pastoral staff Or, and on the sinister side a figure representing William harvey, the physician, also proper holding in the exterior hand a heart gules.
Motto: ' SALUBRITAS ET AMOENITAS' - Healthiness and Delightfulness
The arms were officially granted on July 25, 1958 and transferred to the town council on November 30, 2007.
The vessel and crew are derived from that depicted on the ancient seal. The lion joined to a ship's hull refers to the town's connection to the Cinque Ports, it being a corporate member of Dover.
The black double headed eagle is from the attributed arms of Julius Caesar, who according to legend landed near Folkestone.
The supporters are St Eanswyth, the daughter of King Eadbald, and the founder Abbess of the first Nunnery in England, which was established at Folkestone. The other is Dr William Harvey who discovered the circulation of the blood who was born in Folkestone.
The 13th century seal (Ewe, 1972)
The arms in the Coffee Hag albums +/- 1925
The arms as used on a Faulkner postcard +/- 1905
Rate these arms / rate this page :