|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
In Silber eine schrägliegende blaue Axt mit schwarzem Stiel, oben und unten begleitet von je einer blaubesamten roten Rose mit grünen Kelchblättern.
The arms show an axe as a symbol for the many forests in the area and the roses, taken from the arms of the Lords of Eberstein, who had many goods in the area.
The arms already appear on the oldest known seal of Forbach, dating from 1722. The roses disappear from the seals in the 19th century, but since the 1880s the old arms are restored. The colours were officially determined in 1901. The addition of the other municipalities did not change the arms.
The seal from 1722
Literature : Zier and Fütterer 1966; John et al., 1990.