|Heraldry of the World |
Heraldik av verden
|Norwegian heraldry portal|
- (1967) På rød bunn en oppreist gull bjørn foran en gull borg.
The arms were officially granted on April 21, 1967.
The old arms are based on the oldest known seal of the city, which dates from 1610. The fortress on the seal and old arms are rather strange, Fredrikstad had no fortifications in 1610 (it received some at the end of the 17th century). Fredrikstad was founded by citizens of Sarpsborg and both the fortress and the bear are taken from the old arms of Sarpsborg.
The composition of the seal was also used as arms since the beginning of the 19th century. The new arms were granted at the 400th anniversary of the city in 1967 and show a more modern variation on the fortress and bear.
The arms by Ströhl in 1905.
The arms in a 1914 book.
The arms in the Coffee Hag album +/- 1930
The arms at the municipal border (image by Jan-Erik Løken)
|Follow us on
Please use #heraldryoftheworld
|Support the site:|
Click on the image to see how to support the site !