|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
In gespaltenem Schild vorne in Gold eine bewurzelte grüne Buche, hinten in Rot ein silbernes Hifthorn mit dem Mundstück nach unten, goldener Fessel und goldenen Beschlägen.
Friedrichshafen was founded by the Counts of Buchhorn, who ruled the city until 1089. Until 1811 the city was officially named Buchhorn.
In 1275 the city became an imperial city and the first seal dates from the same time. It shows a canting horn hanging on a canting beech (Buche). Above the tree the Imperial eagle was shown. In the 15th century the beech was flanked by two horns, still under the eagle. Also from the 15th century the oldest arms are known. These showed the beech and a horn side by side. In the early 17th century the shield was divided and the colours were defined.
The arms have not basically changed since, except that the shape and size of the figures changed according to the fashion of the time.
The arms in a manuscript +/- 1530
The arms on a coin from around 1700
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
Seal from around 1900
The arms in the Wappen-Sammlung (+/- 1910)
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes; Kaffee Hag Albums, 1920s