|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on December 11, 1936 and confirmed on July 9, 1973.
The arms show in the right part the cross of the Monastery of Fulda, founded in 744, and since 1752 also the arms of the diocese of Fulda. The main part of the county belonged to the monastery. The lion is the lion of Hessen and symbolises the fact that the county was part of Hessen from 1816-1866 and since 1945.
The arms on an cover
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.