The arms were granted on August 31, 1929.
The arms are a combination of the arms of Geldern and Jülich.
The Gold lion of the Dukes of Geldern was combined with the black lion of Jülich after the latter aqcuired Geldern in the 14th century. The combination of the lions appears already in the 14th century. The arms are identical to the arms of the Dutch province of Gelderland, which was created from another large part of the former Duchy of Geldern.
Postal cancellation 1949
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink