|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were officially granted on August 17, 1977.
Geseke was founded in 1220 by the archbishops of Köln. The oldest known seal dates from 1237 and shows a walled tower and two crossed keys on the main tower. These are the symbol of St. Peter, patron saint of Köln. Later seals show a bishop and St. Peter, the latter holding a key. Around 1600 the cross appears as symbol of the city on stones and buildings. The cross is derived from the arms of the State of Köln, a black cross in silver.
In 1700 the cross was first used as official city arms.
In the new arms a wheel, derived from the arms of the Amt Störmede, was added. Most of the former municipalities were part of the Amt Störmede.
The previous arms were granted on November 16, 1902.
The cross was officially granted in the colours of the former Duchy of Westfalen, to distinguish the arms form those of the State of Köln.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.