|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on August 29, 1929.
The horn is a canting symbol and has been used by the city of Gifhorn since the 14th century. The lion and the hearts are taken from the arms of the Counts of Lüneburg and are used by the counts since the 13th century. The area belonged to the counts for many centuries.
Postal cancellation 1981
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.