|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were adopted in July 1901.
The arms are derived from the arms of the Freiherren von Bettendorf, who acquired the village in 1702 and sold it to the Granddukes of Baden in 1840. Although the village had its own council since at least 1447, the council never had its own seal until the early 19th century.
This seal already showed a shield with the ring and the text Gemeinde Gissigheim. This was the base for the proposal of the State Archives of Baden in 1901, which also assigned the historical colours. The local council adopted the proposal a few months later.
Literature : Zier and Kastner, 1967