|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
(de) In Silber eine rote Rose mit blauem Butzen und grünen Kelchblättern.
Gochsheim is first mentioned as Gozbodesheim in the early 9th century. In the early 13th century it was owned by the Counts of Eberstein, who also granted the city rights to the town. After the death of the last Count of Ebersberg, Gochsheim became a possession of Württemberg. In 1806 it became part of Baden.
The oldest seal of the city dates from 1316 and shows already the rose on a shield (see below).
The rose is derived from the arms of the counts of Ebersheim. In later seals the rose was still used, but not yet on a shield, and three stars were added. In the 16th century the rose was again placed as the sole object on a shield. In the early 19th century a crown was used on the shield. In the late 19th century the heraldic rose was replaced by a natural rose. The old rose was restored in 1898, but until 1945 the old seal with the natural rose was sometimes used.
Seal from around 1900
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.; John, H. : Wappenbuch des Landkreises Karlsruhe. Stuttgart, 1986.