Gräfenhausen (Annweiler am Trifels)
|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on December 15, 1951.
The village became in medieval times a possession of the Eusserthal Abbey and later came into possession of the Dukes of the Pfalz-Zweibrücken. This is symbolized by the upper half of the arms, showing the lion of the Pfalz and the beehive, attribute of St. Bernardus of Clairvaux, patron saint of the Abbey. The base shows a chestnut leaf, symbol for the forests in the region. The three leaves symbolize the (former) villages of Gräfenhausen, Mettenbach and Rodenbach.
Hupp mentioned for Gräfenhausen totally different arms based on an 18th century seal, which actually belonged to Grevenhausen.
Literature : Debus, 1988