|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
- (de) In Grün ein rotbewehrter silberner Adler, bewinkelt von vier gleichschenkligen goldenen Kreuzchen.
The arms were granted on June 6, 1890.
The arms are already known form a seal dating from the end of the 14th century. The eagle is taken from the arms of the counts of Leiningen, who owned the town in the 14th century. The origin of the crosses is unknown. It has been stated that these were taken from the arms of the counts of Leiningen-Westerburg, but this family acquired Grünstadt not before 1467. It is more likely that they bear a reference to the Weissenburg abbey in the village.
seal from the 15th century
The former arms were officially granted on July 27, 1841.
These were based on a wrong interpretation of the old seal, and showed a crescent and a cross in the lower corners of the shield. Even though the arms were officially granted in a canting green (Grün) field, the city used the historical blue colour until the 1880s, see below
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
The arms as used between 1841 and the 1880s
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Municipal stationery, 1960s
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.