GRAFSCHAFT HOYA (SY)
State : Niedersachsen
Additions : 1932 Syke
Incorporated into : 1979 Diepholz, Nienburg, Oldenburg
The arms were granted on April 2nd, 1928, originally with a black bear as a supporter.
The arms are the old arms of the Counts of Hoya. The arms were first used by the Lords of Stumpenhausen, who, in the early 13th century started to name themselves Counts of Hoya. The family died out in 1582 and the area was inherited by the Dukes of Braunschweig-Lüneburg.
The former district Syke belonged to another branch of the Counts of Hoya from 1384-1705 and since 1705 to Hannover.
The origin of the bear-claws is not known. They are used in many arms of towns and cities in the area, such as Bassum, Bücken, Nienburg, Steyerberg, Stolzenau, Sulingen, Syke, Uchte and the Landkreis Nienburg.
Postal cancellation 1973
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Support the site: