Grantown-on-Spey

From Heraldry of the World
Jump to navigation Jump to search
Logo-new.jpg
Heraldry of the World
United Kingdom.jpg
British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
Unitedkingdom-flag.gif

  • Overseas possessions
  • Total pages in the British section : 6,334
  • Total images in the British section : 5,573

GRANTOWN-ON-SPEY

Incorporated into : 1975 Badenoch and Strathspey District Council (1996 Highland Area Council)

Arms (crest) of Grantown-on-Spey

Official blazon

Gules, between three antique crowns Or, a fess undy of five Argent and Azure.

Above the Shield is placed a Burghal coronet and in an Escrol below the Shield this Motto "Stand Fast".

Origin/meaning

The arms were granted on June 24, 1930.

Grantown-on-Spey stems from the Burgh of Barony of Cromdale created in 1609 in favour of John Grant, 5th of Freuchie, and later transferred to Grantown, which in 1694 was erected into a Burgh of Regality for Ludovick Grant, 8th of Freuchie, later Grant of Grant.

The Burgh arms repeat the device on the Burgh seal, which was designed in 1898 by the Marquess of Bute.

The arms of Grant are differenced by a silver and blue wavy fess to denote the river Spey, on which the town stands. The motto is that of Grant.

seal of Grantown-on-Spey

Seal of the burgh as used in the 1890s



Support the site:

Contact us:

Our partners:



© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink

Literature : Porteous, 1906; Urquhart, 1974