|Heraldry of the World
|British heraldry portal
Civic heraldry of the United Kingdom
GREAT DUNMOWE (Town council)
Part of : Dunmowe RDC (1974 Uttlesford)
Arms : Gules a Chevron between in chief two Fleurs-de-Lys and in base a Lion rampant Or grasping in the dexter forepaw a Civic Mace Argent a Pomegranate slipped leaved and seeded proper between two Mascles chevronwise of the first.
Crest : On a Wreath of the Colours on a Woolpack proper a Boar passant Azure armed unguled and charged on the flank with three Crescents two and one Or holding in the mouth three Stalks of Barley and a Spray of Hops also proper.
Motto: 'MAY DUNMOW PROSPER'
The arms were officially granted on April 20, 1956.
The basic colours, the chevron, the lion and the fleurs-de-lys are derived from the arms of the various families that held the manors in Great Dunmow. The two mascles or voided diamonds are from the arms of the Ferrers family. The pomegranate is the badge of the House of Aragon, and recalls the fact that Henry VIII granted the Manor of Great Dunmow to Catherine of Aragon as part of her dower in 1509. The fleurs-de-lys, the emblem of the Virgin Mary, refer to the dedication of the parish church. Fleurs-de-lys are also prominent in the heraldry of the Jenoure and Beaumont families. The silver mace denotes that Great Dunmow once enjoyed borough status.
The woolpack is a reminder that the town owed much of its early wealth to the wool trade and the boar, hops and barley refer to the modern bacon and brewing industries. The boars hooves are shown gold to indicate that it has brought prosperity to the parish. The gold crescents are from the arms of Henniker, Doreword and Bigod.
Contact and Support
Your logo here ?
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink
Index of the site