|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
State : Hessen
District (Kreis) : Lahn-Dill Kreis (until 1976 Wetzlar)
Additions : 1977 Arborn, Beilstein (1971 Rodenroth; 1972 Rodenberg), Nenderoth, Odersberg, Ulmtal (1971 Allendorf, Holzhausen, Ulm)
The arms were officially granted on ??-??-19??.
The arms are a combination of the arms of Beilstein (2nd quarter) and Ulm (3rd quarter) and ??.
The previous arms were designed and granted in 1951.
The castle is the local Greifenstein castle, now a ruin, which was built in 1352 by Count Johan von Solms-Burgsolms and Count Ruprecht von Nassau-Sonnenberg. Later the castle was a possession of the Counts of Solms-Greifenstein, who used a canting griffin (Greif) in their arms. Hence the small shield with a griffin in the base of the arms.
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.