|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
Gundelsheim received city rights in 1378 and the arms were officially granted on March 18, 1538 by Walter von Cronberg, governor of the city for the Teutonic Knights. The arms were confirmed on Auguat 14, 1957.
The arms show in the first quarter the cross of the Teutonic Order, which owned the city. The second quarter shows the arms of the Van Cronberg family. The third quarter shows the arms of the Lords of Horneck. These sold the castle and village of Gundelsheim in 1250 to the Teutonic Knights. The fourth quarter show the town's initial and the local river.
In 1904 the arms were changed into a shield with a grape vine on a hill, but only in 1936 these arms were actually used on the local seals. In 1937 the State Archives proposed to add the Teutonic cross to the arms with the grape vine, but the local mayor did not agree. The city council finally decided in 1957 to re-adopt the old arms.
The arms on an 1877 poster
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.