|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
(de) Schild gespalten, rechts auf goldenem Grund ein roter Querbalken, links auf blauem Grund ein goldener Rost
The arms show in the left part the old village symbol of Hügelsheim. Its meaning or origin is not clear, although it has been proposed that it is derived from the symbol of St. Lawrence, the grill, patron saint of a chapel in the village. The symbol appears in a shield in the oldest known seal, dating from the late 18th century. In the 19th century the symbol is transformed into an Orb.
In 1900 the State Archives proposed new arms, combining the symbol with the arms of the Lords of Geroldseck, Lords of Hügelsheim in the 13th century. The council approved the arms in January 1901.
The municipal stamp shown in 1892
Literature : Zier and Fütterer 1966.