State : Nordrhein-Westfalen
Urban District (Stadtkreis) : Hagen
Additions : 1876 Eilpe, Wehringhausen; 1929 Boele, Fley, Halden, Haspe, Herbeck, Holthausen, Vorhalle; 1975 Amt Ergste (partly), Berchum, Dahl, Garenfeld, Hohenlimburg
Auf blauem Wappenschild einen gelben Eichenbaum
Hagen received city rights in 1746 from King Friedrich II of Prussia. At the same time the first seal is known, which shows a canting Hag (Hag or Wald, means forest). It was, however, also interpreted as a (natural) lily.
In the 19th century the city thus sometimes used arms with two lilies. On February 1, 1897 the present arms were granted, based on the oldest seal. Originally a mural crown was added to the arms, but this is no longer used.
The seals from around 1900
The arms in the Abadie albums
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature: Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.
This page is part of the German heraldry portal
Support the site:
© since 1995, Heraldry of the World, Ralf Hartemink