|Heraldry of the World |
Wappen der Welt
Civic heraldry of Germany
The arms were granted on January 28, 1911 and confirmed on December 31, 1976.
The village developed around the castle of the Bishops of Köln and received city rights in the 13th century. The first seal is known since 1271 and shows St. Peter, the patron saint of Köln, on a throne and holding a key and a book. Later seals continued to show St. Peter, but since the 16th century onwards the city started to use the above arms. The arms show the cross of the State of Köln, combined with the key as a symbol of St. Peter.
The arms by Hupp in the Kaffee Hag albums +/- 1925
Literature : Stadler, 1964-1971, 8 volumes.